So these are peppermint mocha cupcakes that I made for a little Christmas Eve party. Peppermint mocha….sound familiar? Of course it does. Just about every beverage place has a version of peppermint mocha. Yes, i’m talking to you Starbucks, Panera, and even McDonalds. What’s weird is that from January-November, I don’t even like peppermint mocha beverages. It just sounds gross. But then here comes December, with all of the lights, music, the color red and all of a sudden i’m on a mission to drink every damn artificially flavored peppermint mocha out there. It’s weird.
Anyway, this year, I decided to own it and I decided to bid adieu to the drink with making a cupcake in its honor.
The cake: mocha
The frosting: whipped cream
The garnish: crushed candy canes
Farewell, peppermint mocha combination…until we meet again, next December.
Here’s the sitch: I used the recipe from the back of the Hershey’s Cocoa powder tin. I was too lazy to research chocolate cake recipes and really, when has Hershey’s let us down??? (They sure didn’t with this recipe)
Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes (adapted from Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Cake)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (half granulated sugar, half dark brown sugar)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder (I use aluminum free)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter (I used half melted butter for the flavor)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot, hot strongly brewed coffee (This is the mocha part)
- Whip heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcake pan.
- Wisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl (This is my method of sifting). In a separate bowl, wisk eggs, milk and vanilla (Keep wisking in air, it adds fluffiness) .Add oil and butter to liquid ingredients then add all liquid to dry ingredients. Stir in boiling water until all of it is incorporated (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with whipped cream frosting and garnish with crushed candy canes. Makes about 30 cupcakes.